Monday, July 1, 2013

How I finally kicked my caffeine habit. (If I can do it- so can YOU!)

Caffeine Addictions. I am no expert. This is not medical advice. This is how me the girl who was addicted became not addicted.

Most of us have one. Some it means a cup of coffee every day. Some it means a soda at lunch. Some it means just drinking a glass of tea.  Caffeine is a diuretic, so the more you drink it, the more you're draining your body of those important nutrients… I decided to for real give up caffeine in January. I allowed myself to have caffeine free sodas. I highly doubted I would even notice a difference.

What a joke! My addiction was at an all-time HIGH. I was taking in an embarrassing amount of it every day.  When I met with my doctor and got the prognosis of “sleep apnea” – I told him I was about to “quit” caffeine. He gave me some pointers to help with headaches.. What I didn’t know is that it would affect my general mood. I became I very hard person to be around. If your addiction includes more than 80 ounces a day- I think doing it cold turkey (and working and having a family is almost impossible). Looking back my PCP and therapist says I should have used medication to help me! This is sad- but, true.  

So, this will be tailored for you individually:

I will show you how I did it. If you get headaches and you treat them and they still persist- Ask your doctor-it doesn't have to be miserable on everyone. Also, do you know a caffeine headache from lack of sleep headache or sinus or allergy headache????

Last time I normally have caffeine? 7pm
Favorite caffeinated beverage?  Diet Dr. Pepper. (I could only have 3 of my favorite caffeinated beverage a day)

For 2 days no caffeine after 6 pm.

Then days 3 and 4 no caffeine after 5pm. (this screws with your dinner)

Then days 5 and 6 no caffeine after 3pm. (this wasn’t hard for me)

<If you do not have headaches yet then proceed forward.>  


Then days 7 and 8 no caffeine after 1 pm. (this was the killer for me)

Then days 8, 9, 10 no caffeine after 12p.  (Monitor your caffeine intake for 3 days in the morning)

<If you do not have headaches proceed forward>


Day 11-15 Cut in half your intake from days 8-9-10. Let’s say you have 2 cups of coffee and 2 diet cokes. (Then you will have 1 cup of coffee and 1 diet coke).

These days you will notice your sleep being affected-tired earlier and feeling worn out.  If you struggling or wanting it – require yourself to drink 12 ounces of water before each intake of caffeine.

If Headaches have gone away then allow yourself to have only 1 caffeinated beverage before lunch.  But, some people can’t handle the temptation. You know yourself and the addiction. Be smart. Don’t make your loved ones suffer.

Honestly, the 1:00 hour- I couldn’t give it up. We decided that for surgery I would switch to tea and continue on with my addiction..

Folks, I am on week 6 of no caffeine at 1:00. It was hard and challenging but, this worked for me. Lots of folks prefer to quit cold turkey and not wean off. Not me!! Hope this helps. Good Luck on being healthier!


1 comment:

  1. You are doing GREAT Rhonda! So proud of your hard work and dedication. Keep it going girl. Your tunnel is getting shorter and shorter. :-)

    ReplyDelete