Thursday, July 4, 2013

Crock pot Chicken Stock / Broth Recipe!

As you know - I am preparing for weight loss surgery and I am on a two week liquid diet. My hubby, John, is on weight watchers and so we are learning to find meals we both can enjoy. Here is a crucial ingredient to lots of soups!

Chicken Stock/Broth. I was told broth traditionally doesn't include salt but it does include meat.. ANYWAYS.. It's is so easy to make! Homemade is so much better and yet we settle for the can!!!  NO MORE! We even make ours in a crock pot!

John found this recipe at Everyday Maven and we tweak it.. I am making several batches to have in the freezer- and it's so tasty it's no surprise they are the base to several more recipes I plan to post this week/weekend! 


  • One 3½ to 5 lb chicken (with meat, bones & skin), cut up
  • 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • water to cover plus about 1″
  • 8 to 10″ lemongrass, sliced in half (I use the freeze dried)
  • 3 to 4 shallots, cut in half lengthwise (skin on)
  • 1 head garlic, cut in half across the middle (skin on)
  • 3 to 4″ ginger root, peeled and sliced lengthwise
  • 1 bunch scallions, white and darks separated, whites cut lengthwise (greens reserved for soup)
2 to 3 tablespoons Kosher Salt

  • Of course you can also add carrots, celery, green onions and more! Put in the crock pot on low and walk away for 8-10 hours!  

  • After the stock is done cooking turn off the heat and, we pick out the big stuff and used a strainer to remove all herbs/bones/etc. (We actually used the cooked chicken for something else.)

  • Either refrigerate or freeze the stock for future use. I plan to freeze some in both 1 and 2-cup portions, and I also plan to freeze stock in ice cube trays just in case I just “need a little” for making sauce or rice. 

So, that's all folks. You can do it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment