Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Post Op Review-unedited

I am not going to sugar coat this experience. Because I want people to know the real deal.

Communication about the exact time of surgery was not very clear. (I plan to report this through evalution). We were told Surgery was scheduled for 1pm and found out it was in fact scheduled for 3:55 and started at 5:45.  For several reasons you can imagine- it was not a fun day.. My momma and John stuck by with me! I had a bad headache all day(Monday).. So bad the bright lights and coolness in pre opt- made the headache worse and I was given Valium (twice) and finally post surgery it was gone. The anesthetic drug cocktail they gave me was super strong due to my family history of MH.. That made recover much rougher!! It was after 9 (I think) when I got to my room.. My mom is a caregiver by profession and as you can imagine she was not going  to let me stay alone. I was having some buyers remorse at that moment. I was so thirsty and my mouth was so dry-I was not prepared for that feeling. Morphine doesn't help the thirsty feeling. 

Lessons Learned:

  • CALL the business day morning before surgery and confirm time. (I never got a confirmation call).
  • Prepare for someone to stay with you the first night. If you don't need it then you can send them home. 
  • Ask people to text before visiting. (That was so helpful for me!)
  • Bring chapstick! (Thankfully, I was warned)
I woke up feel very un-rested today but, I feel so much better than last night except I was so thirsty. I finally received 1 oz out ice chips every 30 minutes at around 10am.  I also walked around the floor 6+ times. The doctor says I am doing great.  My night nurse says I get clear liquid sat 6 am tomorrow. I am super pumped about that! 
Mama Rho and Lauren

Pretty excited about the new life! No pain- no gain!

Tomorrow we should head home! Super big hugs to all texted, facebook, call or stop by. YOU made the day fly by. Mama Rho is very tired and I will blame the mistakes on the morphine. 



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! My friends have been so supportive.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Also...nothing post op till ice chips starting at 10am...that scares me. My mouth is dry thinking about it! Great job!!!

      Delete
    2. I have to admit- it was very challenging!

      Delete
  3. I am so thankful to my Awesome God that you are doing great. I prayed all day for you and was concerned when I went to bed not knowing how you were doing (had a rough time with my kids and was unable to check computer...just had to go to bed). Then I prayed a prayer of thanksgiving when I read the next day you did great. Hang in there and know that I am still praying for you! You are such an inspiration and such a strong woman...if only we could all have the strength and courage that God has blessed you with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. God is good, I am learning a lot about trusting him and his faithfulness. and thank you for your prayers.

      Delete