Saturday, August 31, 2013

Things you learn as you go along...

So, as you go through the journey of weight loss surgery - you are told a lot of things about food.. Most sleeve patients say "with time, I can eat any foods I choose"...

But, I was told these examples by lots of non sleeve patients..

- Chicken is too dry and hard to eat.
(All in moderation for me- I can eat 1 oz/hour)
-Steak is too tough to eat..
(I will take 1-2 bites.. But, I don't enjoy it like before.. Also, people tend to overcook steak. I am with Alton Brown - Check out this video on you tube by clicking here..
-Bread will get stuck.. 3-4 bites and I am done. I feel full!
-Pasta and rice is a no-no  (I am not a rice fan- but if I eat rice it will be brown rice. Pasta- I eat whole wheat only.)
-Soda is a big no (Not a fan of carbonation- I dream of drinking Dr. Pepper one day- but, not anytime soon! I have no desire to diet drink soda again!)
-no drinking alcohol (alcohol is rarity for me - because there is no enjoyment.)
-Salad and raw veggies can be difficult to digest.. (I am eating salad but, since there is no protein - I skip it)
No drinking while eating  (This is true for me and most patients! Causes much pain! Plus it is not healthy for you.)
Chew your food 30 times! (This is pretty important for proper digestion since my stomach is smaller.)

I think folks get the different surgeries confused. There are definitely more restrictions with lap-band and gastric bypass. I had the sleeve surgery. All that means is they took out 85% of my stomach. 

I have not had a "reaction" since the beginning of August. A reaction is when I food disagrees with me. It's a lot like "dumping" with bypass patients (Sweating,  Fatigue,  Dizziness,  lightheadedness, rapid heart rate, Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal cramps, Diarrhea)  My food triggers continue to be pork (not deli meat or bacon) and sugar alcohols (Splenda and Estevia not a problem). 

From my research the sleeve does not "stop working."  People stop being diligent.  People start making poor food choices. At this point- I feel like I now use food as nutrition - there is no enjoyment- the moment I eat for enjoyment- my brain signals.. I get up and walk away.

Yes, I have made major improvements- still have a lot to learn.. Always, learning!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so well! My mother-in-law asked how you were doing today and she was as impressed as I am! Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and for your support! Love you!

    ReplyDelete