Saturday, June 22, 2013

The skinny on the pre opt diet

So, I wrote my bariatric nurse today and said:


Do you know the internet can be a scary place!!!  I am reading so much crap out there. 
Shakes-Calories (does it matter)-Carbs (lots of shakes are high)-Protien (I need 60+ a day/correct?)-Oatmeal (lower calorie?)-Fruit in shakes blended is a no?-Pudding mix to flavor shakes?-No diet sodas (this is not a biggie- I am off of them)

 She responded:
Yes the internet is VERY SCARY!  It’s not too complicated but it is easy to make it harder than it has to be. On the pre-op diet keep the total calories somewhere between 1000-1200/day. Most shakes are ~200 cal (or less) & you need at least 3/day so that is about ½ of your calories. You can add an extra shake if you like but 3 is the minimum 60gm of protein is a good goal. Mix & match other liquids off the list with your shakes but you cannot add additional foods (fruit) to the list. The diet is a sugar free diet – so that means no pre-packaged flavored oatmeal's they ALL have a TON of sugar. Use regular oatmeal & add Splenda or equal etc to sweeten. You could add pudding mix (sugar free instant) to a shake if you want or a fat free flavored yogurt (try Kroger Carbmaster yogurt). You could have a diet soda if you like but its best to go ahead & break the habit – those are no-no’s after surgery. 

I feel empowered by the challenged before me. Last night we measured ourselves.. I think it makes sense to post (before and after) photos as I meet goals. 

I have three short term goals. (Other than survive pre-opt and surgery)

  • Lose 10% of my weight. 
  •  I also have a pair of capri's I want to wear too!
  • Implement a exercise plan that includes 30 minutes of exercise a day.  (After day 21 consider it successful)

Time to be honest.. I am still in the last meal saga. I can tell you about every bite of food I have had since getting the news. I think my therapist will have lots to say about that. It's okay though! I am grieving part of my life.. I get a whole new life on July 8th. I am sharing my day with another weight loss surgery survivor (whose anniversary is that day)! I am excited to meet up with my friend A and learn from her.  Every single person who has had weight loss surgery- can rattle off their date. It's a big deal. There you go folks-have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment