Wednesday, June 12, 2013

You are taking the easy way out..


According to the CDC  did you know that 70% of america's adults are considered overweight?

I don't go around telling people I am weeks maybe days away from my first surgery. I am not telling everyone that I am preparing to say good bye to my fat. But, I want to. I have not shared my blog with Facebook  I feel like I am keeping a secret. But, I am not. It comes down to this. I like to have a solid plan. When I don't have a plan and it's not set in stone- I over think it. I BELIEVE this is going to happen.  Am I really going to post a blog about this? If I am going to post on Facebook  I need to address something before I tell Facebook  (My friends and supporters- I love you and thank you for your continued support). 

Believe it or not- this is my LEAST favorite thing to hear:  "You are taking the easy way out by having surgery." (I have heard it 3 times). And this is when I say this "I have been considered overweight since 1992. That is 21 years. Way over half of my life. I have tried dieting- I have exercised- I have taken supplements- I have taken pills- My last 50 pounds was gained while on birth control. 

Choosing to change my life is not most people's business and I assure you that nothing about being unhealthy is easy. This decision is right for me and my family. We welcome your support and prayers. While your approval is nice- it's not necessary. 

My therapist says if the disapproving folks mean something to me then you have to educate them. Tell them your journey- Share with them how they have improved complication rates and mortality rates when bariatric surgery is performed at a Center of Excellence. 

Pam Davis says this: We have to remember there are many environmental, societal, hormonal, physiological and genetic factors that come together to impact our weight. We as a society cannot be so naïve as to think behavior change alone will be a successful treatment. We have to be ready, willing and able to educate the naysayers regarding obesity prevention and treatment. We have to be willing to stand-up for ourselves and others. We have to be willing to educate those who think any treatment for obesity, including surgery, is an easy way out.

After being a “fat” kid, teen and adult, my physician and I determined that bariatric surgery is the best course of treatment for me. I am having bariatric surgery to treat a chronic, lifelong disease and I am not taking the easy way out. I assure you. Thanks Pam Davis for reminding me of this. 



4 comments:

  1. I honestly thought that "easy way out myself" to some degree (not specific to you but to myself). It really helps me to realize that I still have to do all the work. I still have to lose the weight. There are people who have these surgeries that don't do the work and they don't lose the weight. It is a tool and one you are going to ROCK! :) Again, thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your love and support. Together we will rock this- and be healthier. hugs- Rhonda

      Delete
  2. There is no easy way out of being over weight, and that includes all other avenues of weight loss. I know this because I went through it. Some people need a little more help than others. I thank God I didn't have to go that route, but it wasn't easy, and it requires a life time of dedication no matter which avenue you choose. The only thing that matters is that your doing something about it, that your informed, that its best for you as well as your family, and that you commit to working on this for a life time. I am in your corner all the way, and I believe you can do this because you are stronger than you think you are. Go get them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate your education to others! We all need to hear it. I am going to invite you to be friends with my brother and his wife- they are your kind of hard core. Again, thanks for youru support!!!

      Delete