Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Make 2014 count!

Surgery Day
Here we are on the my weight loss journey.. On July 8, 2013, I had the  Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery.  I have been overweight majority of my life.  The summer of 1991, I was put on a medication that has a side effect of weight gain at the age of 12. That year I gained over 40 pounds and my weight continue to increase as I grew up. As a teenager, I was steadily at a size 18. In college, I lost some weight (to a size 16) but, it was short lived and I increased my intake of dorm food and sodas. My weight continued to rise to around the 280 mark by 2004. At some point I remembering weighting around 260 and wearing a size 22 while living in Colorado (around 2005)-I was not convenient to fast food and worked out by swimming. After moving to Little Rock in 2009, I was steady at around 290 varying in sizes from 22/24 to size 26/28. After meeting my husband John,  I decided to switch my form of birth control and over 6 months I gained 60 pounds and was solidly in a 26/28 and way over 300 pounds.  And over the holidays, I typically gained 10 pounds and would lose 10 pounds each year. So my history with being fat was over a span of 20 years. 

My highest weight on record was around 353 (January 2013). I am so thankful for a supportive husband who loved me unconditionally at 353 pounds.   So here is my track record (I keep a diary of it in my phone by using the app called "Monitor Your Weight".)


On June 20th I weighted 342.6.  Keep it mind, I had to do a supervised diet for 6 months from October to March. Clearly, I failed that.  We believe that I weight around 320 on my surgery day.  Today, four months post surgery, I weight 268.5. 


I have no regrets about my weight loss surgery. I feel better than I can I ever remember. A year ago, my health was declining rapidly and my weight was taking a toll on my body. Lots of people assume that perhaps I should have tried working out before I had surgery and I wouldn't had to have a drastic surgery. But, I will say this I didn't have the energy nor was I physically able to just work out and have the possibly of fail. I also over the course of 15 years worked out doing various activities and still never consistently lost weight. I also believe that going through mental health therapy was a very important part of my success. So, if you are worried that weight loss surgery was the easy way out for me- I assure it is not. 


I tell you this story because I want to share with others that no matter what your story is - being healthy can happen for you.  There is lots of changes happening with the new affordable health care act. I have been told that insurances changes from year to year regarding this coverage. You should call now and then call in January. So here is my advice:


 If you want to have weight loss surgery then here is what you should do:


 I encourage you to call your insurance and ask if they cover bariatric surgery. (If they say no call again in January). You can also check your spouse's insurance and maybe switch insurances if that is an option.   I have AETNA insurance (they do NOT pay for my daughter's autism treatment/therapies- so I was shocked to find out did in fact cover part of the surgery) but, they did have a policy on paying for surgery. I called my insurance and had them find me this document online.   (the policy can be read by clicking here- it's 35 pages long!!)  Then I started a binder with notebook paper. When I called my insurance and asked them something I documented it.  Do not expect your doctor's office to do this for you. Be informed.  Attend a seminar and find a surgeon.  If your PCP is not interested in supporting you with weight loss surgery then find one that does! Also, every time you visit a doctor (Ob/Gyn, chiropractor et el) ask them to write you a letter in support of your surgery and send you a copy and the weight loss surgeon. By the time you do all your appointments- you might meet your deductible.


I have several friends who paid cash for their surgery. I also have several friends who also went to Mexico for their surgery. It's top quality service and much better price. I can give you some information if you are interested.  Don't believe everything you hear.   As scary as weight loss surgery may sound- you staying fat is much more scary!!!!! There is lots of bad information out there.  Be informed. Be prepared for a hard journey but for me very worthwhile! 









No comments:

Post a Comment