Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Our adoption story

Our first trip to Mena
Most of my friends know that I prior to my first date with John he revealed over email that our relationship may not go far because he was committed to raising his 2 girls who had profound special needs. I remember I was staying at my friend Julie's house when I read the email. I thought how on earth can I not meet him. I want to meet the man who is the special needs single dad. That following Friday we had our first date. I knew almost instantly God had been preparing me for to meet John. I didn't really know a lot about special needs kids and my experience had been very minimal. A short time later I met both girls. John was convinced I would keep our relationship to just "friendship" once I walk in to his world.  

Spring 2012  Photo by: Crystal Goss
At some point early in our relationship several people close to me would ask me do you think Maddie is John's biological child??  I said of course.. She looks like her mom. (I was blinded by love.) John revealed several months later in to our relationship that Maddie was not his biological child. I was in shocked. I can tell you everything about that moment. He was fearful I might not love her the same or that I would think he was crazy. Well, what happen was it made me realize that it made me love and respect him even more. 

Everyone knows Maddie is a daddy's girl. She loves me and I love her but, her heart belongs to daddy. Lauren is my girl. Lauren and I have some sort of bond that is unexplainable. 


Bridals 2012
 It was important to me that when John felt comfortable with the idea, I wanted to legally adopt the girls. As most of you know the process of adoption is not cheap. There are lots of people who wrote letters to the judge on our behalf. My friend Jayme helped us with the homestudy for the adoption. Our lawyer (Frank) was very helpful in us getting all the right documents together. I should tell you that  not one of our friends would not accept money for their expenses. (Adoptions paperwork minus their fees from the work is still expensive!)

Adoption Day with Judge Huckabee
On October 23, 2012 my life was changed again. I became officially Mama Rho. (In the nanny world I was Nanny Rho.) John legally became Maddie's dad. Those are titles that make life easier from a legal standpoint. 

Maddie and Me Sept. 2013
Lauren and Me Seattle 2013
The decisions and choices that special needs parents make are hard. I could not be a parent without believing in God. It's that simple for me.  I am grateful that John said yes. I am thankful for Maddie and Lauren's biological mom. I am blessed by the support and acceptance of my friends and our family during our good (and bad) times. 


Happy Adoption Day to us! God is good!











1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing your story. You have a beautiful spirit and have blessed them beyond measure...and I know they have done the same for you! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete